You can make a difference right now. Before you check your email or make dinner plans, invest a few minutes to help the women of Congo. Build a movement. Change the world. You have more power than you know.
Choose one each month
- 1. Make a personal connection. Sponsor a Sister through Women for Women International for $30/month (select DRC on the site’s drop down menu) or be a lifeline for rape victims in Somalia for as little as $10 a month through our program, Sister Somalia.
- 2. Raise awareness in your community by participating in or organizing a Run for Congo Women event; or share Nicholas Kristof’s seven-minute video “An American in Congo” with friends and family.
- 3. Sponsor a Congolese child’s education for a year ($52) through Kids 4 Congo’s Kids.
- 4. Read A Thousand Sisters and discuss with friends and family. Click here to order.
- 5. Host a Congo book club. Read A Thousand Sisters (order here; find a reading group guide here) and Dancing in the Glory of Monsters (order here) and begin the dialog in your community about Congo
- 6. Host a Screening of The Greatest Silence, an eye-opening documentary that gives voice to sexual violence in Congo.
- 7. Host Cocktails and/or Conversations for Congo
- 8. Post, repost, and spread Congo news on Facebook and Twitter.
- 9. Pray or Meditate for Congo
- 10. Dream something up!
From outside the U.S.?
All the more powerful for you to reach out to leaders in the U.S. Take part in the actions above, and/or reach out to your government. Connect with other sisters in your country, or start an A Thousand Sisters chapter!